Contribute in ways that match your available time and budget
We are a 501(c)(3) organization incorporated for the primary purpose to provide support of and advocacy for WSU Extension Master Gardener Programs in Yakima County.
We are a non-profit 501(c)3 organization registered in Washington. And like many non-profits, we could use your financial assistance. If you believe in what we are doing, please help us make a greater impact across Yakima County with a cash donation.
Our Foundation board must make tough decisions about which programs get funded and how much they receive. Your donation allows us to do more. The Master Gardener Program infrastructure is supported by Washington State University Extension. Your donation funds projects, gardens, and educational opportunities.
In each year, there are changing needs and new requests for funding but on average, here is how your money is allocated in Yakima County:
- Demonstration Gardens. We fund several demonstration gardens including the Heirloom Garden, where, among other plants, we experiment with rare and endangered plant species, and save seed for our Free Seed Library. Also the Ahtanum Demonstration Garden, which includes a dozen distinct garden areas showcasing different plant types, a kids garden, xeric plantings, grape arbor, and more.
- Plant Sale Preparation. Hosting the plant sale has its own expenses, and there are costs associated with transplanting and growing plants from seed, the ‘inventory’ of the plant sale.
- Food Gardens. Everyday expenses and upkeep associated with two gardens planted specifically to benefit area food banks and the Yakama Nation Diabetes Center.
- Plant Diagnostic Clinic. We answer your questions, free, in our plant clinic. To do that, we have expenses associated with tools such as microscopes, lab supplies, and acquiring reference material, as well as printing costs for the information we provide.
- Training Equipment and Material. We provide audio/visual equipment and classroom expenses for teaching classes to the public and for our own new trainees and continuing education for our veterans.
- Everything Else. Miscellaneous expenses associated with our Speakers’ Bureau program, volunteer recognition programs and the day-to-day expenses of running a volunteer organization
Become a Master Gardener
WSU Extension Yakima County Master Gardeners are university trained community educators, dedicated to providing unbiased horticultural knowledge and resources. As a Master Gardener you will receive an abundance of gardening knowledge to support your own learning and interests. Becoming a Master Gardener is academically rigorous, and maintaining your certification from year to year also requires dedication and time.
Join the Foundation
If you are already a Yakima County Master Gardener and want to do more, consider joining the foundation. As a foundation member, you can attend board meetings and in doing so will get better understanding of the overall scope and financial health of the Master Gardener Foundation of Yakima County. You can also run for office. We are always looking for energetic volunteers who want to increase their impact on and bring new ideas into the organization.